Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Holy Shelving Batman! or, The Day the Library Exploded

So on Tuesday when I pulled into work, I noticed that our parking lot was rather full. Comparatively. I didn't really think anything of it, though. But when I walked into the back room, and looked up the hallway leading to the floor, there were about 3 full carts (2 of which were children's) that needed to be shelved, and when I glanced into the bomb room, one of my coworkers was tackling a huge pile of books and media.

So I went out onto the floor, pushing one of the childrens' carts over to the childrens' section, and lo and behold, there's already a half-full cart sitting there (composed of mostly Easy Non-fiction... woo!). So I push my full cart back across the library and park it back in the hallway and start heading back over, when I ran into Mr. B (a friend from high school who I hadn't seen in forever). Yay!

After we chatted for a bit, I went back over to children's to tackle the cart. The area was packed with kids and their parents, and it was a mess from kids just picking something off the shelf and leaving it elsewhere, be it on the floor, on top of the shelves, under the computers, etc.

Two hours later, I had finished that cart, helped a couple of kids find the books they were looking for, and finished half of another cart. Then I took my break, and when I finished I figured I'd check on the bomb room. At that moment, it was definitely very appropriately named, as it looked like a bomb had actually gone off. There were books piled on the counter. The crate holding the returns from the library lobby was completely full (actually more than full, I'm pretty sure there was a mountain of items bulging over the top of the crate) and about every 5 minutes, people would drop off more. I spent the last hour and a half trying to catch up, and when there were about 20 minutes until closing, this is what I had left to check in:


That huge tower is made up of cd books, and the one that's about half its size is dvds. Both of which have to be checked and made sure that every disk is accounted for. So at that point I finished checking in all the books, and went out to the helpline and asked if someone could please help me with the media? As the announcement was made that the library was closed, I had just finished with everything.

This was the result:


These are all carts lined up in the hallway of books that need to be shelved. There are about 5 and half completely full carts there (2.5 of which are more children's carts). Good thing we don't open until 1 on Wednesdays!

I'm not sure what caused the influx... and I haven't been back to work yet, so I'm not sure if it was just Tuesday or if this is how we're going to be over the summer. If it is, it's going to be crazy!

Also, yay for the people participating in the Summer Reading Program! You guys rock! :D

2 comments:

  1. Hey.. this was an interesting post! You almost make me want to work in a library :)

    Cheers for the SRP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chose you for the Sunshine Award, stop by my site and pick it up!! :)

    Brittany
    http://www.findingbrittnemo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete