Monday, February 27, 2012

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

So as many of you probably know, the short The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore won an Oscar last night. Like most of the shorts, I had never heard of it, but luckily one of the people I follow on Twitter posted a link sharing it. I watched it today... and wow. It's pretty awesome, and the Oscar was so well-deserved. As a librarian and lover of books, I had a special appreciation for the film... It really portrays how wonderful books are... the joy that they can bring to everyone.

So here's the link for it: http://theguardiansbooks.com/FlyingBooks/?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=RHSocialMedia. Go! Watch it! And grab a tissue if you're one to cry at things. You won't regret it!

On a somewhat related note, today was early-release for the schools in our area. I was shelving over in children's when a mom came up to me with her young daughter who was probably 5-6. She said to me, "I'll be honest with you... I haven't been in a library since I was a kid. But my daughter had a librarian visit her class today, and she begged me to bring her." She then asked me about the kids' section and how things were set up.

My heart smiled at that... I applaud the mom for taking those first steps in getting her daughter to appreciate libraries and reading, and I hope that the little girl does develop a love of reading!

That's all for today... Let me know what you think of The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved that short film. I won't lie: it definitely made me cry at the end. And that's awesome about that little girl's mom bringing her to the library! Good for her!

    ReplyDelete