Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Okay Sure, I'm a Librarian

Hello everyone! I've been thinking about doing this for a while (starting a blog about my librarying and such) but I've finally decided to actually do it!

So here we are, at my first post...

For those of you who don't know, my official title at my job is a "library services assistant" (LSA). So technically I'm not an official librarian, but when you say you work at the library, that's what people's minds jump to, so it's just easier to go along. Officially, my first priority is to get materials back out to customers, i.e. I do a lot of shelving and checking books in (see picture below). I'd say that these tasks make up about 85% of my job, with random other tasks (shelf-reading, pulling books that have been requested, searching for "lost" books, helping customers with basic requests, etc.), thrown in sometimes.


Okay, so you're probably thinking by now how boring and unglamorous my job sounds. And it probably is, but I enjoy it. A lot. Sure, the work gets tedious sometimes, but I don't have a day where I don't see something amusing or learn something. And as I love to read, working in a place where I'm surrounded by books rocks. Plus, I work with [mostly] awesome people, and they make it enjoyable too.

So on this blog, I plan on posting a couple of things, the main thing being funny or random events that happen throughout my time at work, books that I find that are awesome or ridiculous, and maybe even some sharing as to what I've been reading lately. Enjoy, and please comment if you feel so inclined. I like feedback :)

*Also, a note about the picture above... it was taken in what is called the Bomb Room. It's a room in the back where the books go to when customers return them. When they drop the books into the crates that catch them (which are made of metal), it sounds like a bomb is going off. The walls are covered with things that have been left inside of books. A lot of which are hilarious. The picture was taken on Feb 5 after the Bomb Room had been unattended for too long, and I took all of the books and stacked them on the counter to see just how much I had to check in.

And so dear readers, I'll leave you with this, my favorite thing that I've ever found inside of a book:



Yes, that says, "I'm a bobey lady," and that is a picture of what you think it is. Oh kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment