Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Top 10 Songs to Check In Books To

I got to work today... one of my 5-hour shifts that happen on Fridays/Saturdays. I had to be in at 10... after getting home at 4:30 this morning (Yay for OPA and Rose Night and graduating Seniors!). So since I got about four hours of sleep, I made sure that went to McDonald's before work and got a large coffee. It didn't last very long, unfortunately, and I was definitely dragging.

But luckily, I spent the first hour checking in crates and the RPL, and the other four hours were essentially spent in the bomb room. Which worked for me, since, you know, I love working in the bomb room. One of the reasons I enjoy it is since I'm in there by myself, I can put on music. I'll just log into Grooveshark (if you haven't used Grooveshark, you should definitely check it out, it's pretty awesome), pull up a playlist, and rock out. And yes, I will sing along and/or dance around while putting the books on their carts because I'm awesome like that. My top ten songs of choice (at least for today)?
  1. "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
  2. "Universe and U" - KT Tunstall
  3. "Down by the Water" - The Decemberists
  4. "My Moon My Man" - Feist
  5. "Heartbreak Warfare" - John Mayer
  6. "Dog Days are Over" - Florence and the Machine
  7. "If I Die Young" - The Band Perry
  8. "The Cave" - Mumford and Sons
  9. "Smile" - Lily Allen
  10. "Feeling Good" - Michael Buble
A few other random things:
  • I had a shelving timing quiz the other day... I had a children's cart that I was supposed to be able to shelve in 45 minutes. (I would have done an hour one, like my eventual test will be, but there wasn't enough material that had come in to make an hour cart, so instead we went with 45 minutes. And these tests are so... not realistic. I mean that because I am supposed to be able to shelve said cart in 45 minutes/an hour without any interruptions. So... no customers asking for help, no shelf-shifting (moving books around to make room), shelf-reading (making sure books are in order), or picking up stragglers that are in the wrong place. All of which I always do when I am shelving because it makes me crazy to have things looking/being disorganized. But I did it in 35 minutes anyway, and got a high-five from B (my supervisor whom I adore, he's fantastic) :)
  • About a week ago, I was shelving in the Juvenile section, and heard this man who was standing at the kids' check-out station start yelling, "Hey! Hey! Hey!" and snapping his fingers. I looked over at him (I was standing basically behind him) and saw that his kids had run off, so I figured he was calling for them. He continues yelling a couple more times, and then I hear one of my co-workers approach him and ask, "Excuse me, Sir, do you need help?" And he proceeded to reply that yes, yes he did, and that the check-out system wasn't working. I couldn't believe that he was yelling (1) in the library and (2) in order to get assistance from a staff member! Really?
  • GCPL is participating in a contest to win 16oo For Dummies books. Today's the last day to help us out, and all you have to do is go here on Facebook and like the page to help us win! We're in the lead, and want to stay that way, so please help us out!
  • A shout out to all of the lovely ladies who told me that they enjoy reading my blog yesterday! It made me feel so happy! (I.e. If you read this regularly, I'd love it if you left comments just to say hi or ask questions or share your thoughts!)

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, awesome playlist! I wish grooveshark wasn't blocked at the school, because I would listen all the time.

    ReplyDelete