Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reason #X I Love My Job

So a short story from yesterday that made me smile...

I was shelving over in children's when a mother and her daughter (adorable, red-hair and freckles, about 8) approached me, asking if we had a copy of Nanny McPhee (the book). There was a novelization made of the book, and after looking where it should have been and not finding it, I went to the front desk and asked B to look to see if we had a copy of it. He looked, and found that it was indeed checked out, so I went back to tell the mom and daughter that we didn't have a copy in the branch, but they could request it. Mom was upset, because she had looked online ahead of time and it said it was in, and they needed it that day for some reason.. maybe for a project or something, I don't know. The daughter just looked upset.

They went to sit together and read Rumpelstiltskin, and I went back to shelving. Then I remembered that Nanny McPhee was based on The Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda, by Christianna Brand. Luckily, we had a copy of that, so I hunted it down, and when they were finished reading, I brought it to them and explained, "These are the original books that Nanny McPhee was based on." The little girl smiled excitedly and thanked me, as did her mother, and they both thanked me again as they were leaving. So the rest of my shift I was just happy that I had done that something extra to help them have a positive library experience. Yeah... it's cheesy, but oh well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment